The recruitment of French Immersion teachers presents significant challenges for both Alberta school districts and Saskatchewan school divisions. As a result, school districts/divisions are increasingly developing a local professional development route to create a local cadre of prepared French Immersion teachers and vice-principals.
To support LCSD alumni undergraduate French Immersion teachers in earning a Bachelor of Education degree at a recognized university.
Fund up to one undergraduate teacher per year in the following manner:
Pay tuition up to $5000.00 per year to a maximum of $10,000.00 for tuition in a university recognized by the Saskatchewan Ministry of Education with the following understandings:
- A payment of $5000.00 will be paid to the students pending the following:
- The student is in his or her final year of university in a recognized Bachelor of Education program.
- The student must successfully meet all university requirements for convocation or payment shall be returned to the school division.
- Return service does not include time for leaves.
- This bursary requires a three-year commitment of return service from the teacher following the successful completion of the Bachelor of Education program.
- The Board of Education's financial commitment will range from nil to $10,000.00 per year dependent on the number of applicant's selected for the bursary.
- Teachers and administrators accepting this bursary may apply for an administrative position; but participation, though a distinct asset, forgoes an open employee selection process.